The African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) is a non-profit networking and service alliance of Field Epidemiology (and Laboratory) Training Programs (FELTPs), and other applied epidemiology training programs. AFENET has operations in over 31 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa or the World Health Organisation Africa Region (WHO – AFRO). Established in 2005, AFENET is dedicated to helping Ministries of Health in Africa build strong, effective, sustainable programs and capacity to improve public health systems on the African continent.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: DHIS2 Application Developer
Employment Type: Contract
Duration of contract: One year
Work Hours: Full-time
Open to: All Interested Candidates
Role and Responsibilities
- Focus on coding and debugging
- Build the front-end of applications through appealing visual design
- Develop and implement DHIS 2 tools and training materials
- Maintain data backup and archival procedures
- Trouble-shoot and provide support to users of DHIS2 across multiple administrative levels
- Communicate with relevant stakeholders on data quality issues
- Develop functional and sustainable web applications with clean codes
- Troubleshoot and debug DHIS2 applications on Linux platform
- Maintain existing computer programs by making modifications as required
- Responsible for server and network maintenance
- Hardware and software support
- Staying abreast of developments in web applications and programming languages
- Perform other tasks given to him by the Data Management Team Lead and Coordinator.
Qualification and years of experience:
- A Bachelors’ Degree with minimum of seven (7) years of experience in Health Informatics, Computer Science, Computer Programming, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Information Technology, or any other eHealth related fields
- Master’s Degree with a minimum of four (4) years of experience in Health Informatics, Computer Science, Computer Programming, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Information Technology, or any other eHealth related fields
- Demonstrated minimum of 3 – 5 years’ experience as a full stack developer DHIS2 Academy level 2 specialisation is an added advantage Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 8 Programmer.
- Experience with programming language in Java, other programming languages like react JS, R and Python may be required
- Good knowledge of the district health information system version 2 (DHIS2)
- Ability to design and develop customized DHIS2 solutions using DHIS2 API (SMS API, web API and mobile API)
- Ability to configure and install DHIS2 platform on Linux operating system
- Development and deploy new functionality for DHIS2 (either as external module or by modifying the source code)
- Familiarity with databases (e.g., PostgreSQL, SQL Server, DB2, MySQL, MongoDB), web servers (e.g., Apache) and UI/UX design
- Database design and data integration skills in programming language, i.e., Java and Java script Skills in DHIS 2
- Need to have programming and system architecture expertise to be able to do DHIS2 customizations and deployment
- Experience using and implementing visualization tools like PowerBI, Tableu or Data Studio
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git
- Basic understanding of Network operation, IT service management / support experience
- Ability to work on multiple projects and tasks at the same time, great attention to detail, and highly organized
- Experience with developing applications with Java on Linux platform will be an added advantage.
Deadline: 14th November, 2022.