The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent humanitarian medical NGO that was created in 2009 by professionals of humanitarian medicine. ALIMA’s mission is to provide medical care in emergency situations or medical catastrophes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Logistics / Administration Manager – M / F
Location: Owo, Ondo
Contract term: Contract under French law
Contract length: 6 months, renewable, depending on the availability of funding
Report to (Direct): Project Coordinator
Report to (Functional): Logistics Coordinator, Finance Coordinator and Human Resources Coordinator
Staff Reporting to him: 2 (Admin and Logistics Supervisor)
ALIMA in Nigeria
- ALIMA has been present in Nigeria since 2016. Its actions are part of a regional response strategy to health and nutrition emergencies, with a focus on pediatric, maternal-infant and epidemic interventions.
- ALIMA is present in North-East Nigeria in Borno State (MMC and Jere LGAs) and in Yobe State (Bade and Karasuwa LGAs) where it provides outpatient and inpatient healthcare and nutrition services for IDPs and host communities.
- In North-West Nigeria, ALIMA is in Katsina State (Kaita LGA) to respond to increased nutritional needs. ALIMA is present in the South-West, in Ondo State (Owo LGA) where teams are treating patients for Lassa fever and conducting research into improved treatment.
- Since the rapid increase in Lassa Fever cases in 2018, ALIMA has been supporting the NCDC and the State Ministry of Health in Owo (Ondo State) with case management, active case detection, patient triage, public awareness campaigns, and reinforcement of the Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) measures among health workers in the different hospital structures of Ondo State.
- As of today, ALIMA is intervening in Owo Federal Medical Centre (Owo FMC) to support the response to the outbreak through providing free laboratory and clinical care for suspected and confirmed cases of Lassa fever, and also conducting clinical research.
- In 2019-2020, ALIMA set up a Viral Hemorrhagic Fever laboratory in Owo to improve patients’ care by providing fast and high-quality diagnosis. ALIMA also takes on community outreach activities and has sensitized more than 6 500 people to Lassa fever.
- In addition to prevention and case management, ALIMA is currently participating in the coordination of several studies to better understand the disease in order to improve case management, including an observational cohort study (LASCOPE) to describe the clinical, biological course, management and outcomes of hospitalized patients with a diagnosis of confirmed Lassa fever.
- With more than 1000 inclusions, the LASCOPE study enables researchers and medical experts to better understand the factors that contribute to the death of people infected with the Lassa virus.
- It is comprehensively documenting and analysing the clinical and biological parameters of these patients who were admitted to the Federal Medical Centre in Owo, and more recently to the Alex Ekwueme Teaching Hospital in Abakaliki. By taking an approach that integrates research, patient care and infection prevention and control, the LASCOPE project provides valuable information for the design of future diagnostic tools, vaccines and therapeutic trials aimed at finding a more specific treatment.
- Following the initial results of the LASCOPE study, ALIMA and its partners are continuing, with the consent of the patients, to collect data on people admitted to the Lassa fever ward in Owo. The study has already produced several publications, including one in The Lancet.
- ALIMA is also implementing a phase II clinical trial (SAFARI) at the Federal Medical Center of Owo (FMCO) to evaluate the safety and efficacy of Favipiravir (antiviral drug). The ultimate goal is to improve specific treatment options and continue with an international phase III trial.
- All these ongoing and future research activities are in line with ALIMA’s strategic priorities to promote research against viral hemorrhagic fevers in Africa.
Protection of Beneficiaries and Members of the Community
- Level 3: The incumbent will have contact with children or/and vulnerable adults either frequently (for example, once a week or more), or regularly (e.g. four days in a month or more or overnight) because he or she works in national programs, or because he visits national programs, or because he is responsible for implementing the recruitment process;
- Therefore, a criminal record check or the presentation of a certificate of good life and manners will be required. In situations where the impossibility of providing a criminal record or a certificate of good life and manners is found, a statement of honor will be requested.
Mission and Main Activities
- The Logistics/Administration Manager is responsible to define, implement and monitor logistics activities and objectives based on the ALIMA strategic planning, standards and protocols.
This involves the following tasks:
- Responsible to ensure the implementation of support (communications, electricity, transport, IT) and any other logistical activities required to achieve the medical objectives (construction/restoration, water & sanitation, cold chain, etc.);
- Responsible to manage and monitor the material resources for the project;
- Ensure installations and maintenance of functional office space and lodging facilities in the project in an adequate living conditions as well as all the equipment required with a support from the Logistics team at the field and from ALIMA Coordination team;
- Lead role in asset inventory, fleet, stock, contracts & follow up, vendors and price lists management of the project;
- Play a role in supply chain for the Project with the direct support of the Supply Chain Manager of the coordination;
- Responsible to ensure implementation of the technical SOPs, policies of logistics/security procedures in the Project areas/zones according to ALIMA standard Logistics & Security Guidelines;
- Responsible to coordinate, organize, supervise, coach and support logistics team members’ performance to improve the logistics components of the project;
- Responsible to plan and supervise, in close collaboration with the Project Coordination, the associated processes (recruitment, training, induction, performance evaluation, development of skills and internal / external communication) of the project logistics staff in order to ensure the required performance and achieving goals, shall ensure implementation, manage and monitor the necessary reporting tools for logistics activities;
- Responsible to compile the quantitative logistics data (consummations, stocks, distributions) and analyse them before transmission to the Project coordinator and the Logistics coordinator in monthly reporting;
- Key member in training staff on security (for both local and expat staff);
- Participate in the development of the project proposal and project budget review;
- Ensure weekly/bimonthly and monthly Logistics reports as per ALIMA standards Guidelines.
Finance and Human Resources:
- The Logistics/Administration Manager is responsible to define, implement and monitor human resources and finance activities, and objectives based on the ALIMA strategic planning, standards and protocols.
This involves the following tasks:
- Responsible to implement Human Resources policies in the project and the correct Administrative Management of all staff working in the project (National, International);
- Advise Project Coordinator on set up (org chart) and together with the HR Coordinator, update the project’s organizational chart and job descriptions;
- In close coordination with the Project Coordinator and the HR Coordinator, calculate the HR operational needs and the associated budget in order to efficiently ensure the required sizing and capabilities of the mission and to facilitate budget following-up;
- Involved in hiring, training, files updating, tax follow up, holidays planning and gap filling;
- Support the team on HR performance goals, resolving of labour conflicts and briefings;
- Implement circuits and workflows (management of cash boxes, transfers, advances, purchase procedures, payment validations, follow up of regular payments, bank conciliation), in order to anticipate expenses at project level and to optimize cash needs and its security.
- Implement and supervise transactional procedures and systems in order to ensure transparent accounting practices and full documentary traceability (invoices, receipts, bank statements, etc.), following ALIMA guidelines and rules, and using the respective software in place;
- Ensure that monthly accountancy closure is taking place and controlled, with due quality and on due time.
- In close collaboration with the Project Coordinator and the Finance Coordinator, analyse and follow up the project budget and financial reporting in order to ensure that funds are used according to funding contracts and to proposing corrective action.
- Any other assignment, as given by the Project Coordinator and members of coordination.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Degree / Diploma in Business Administration or Finance, Accounting or any other Degree / Diploma related to the position requirements.
- At least 3 years experience in the same position.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Experience in working in harsh environment.
- Experience in working under pressure.
- Respect of deadlines.
- Remains discreet about the professional and personal life of team members
- High level of Integrity.
- English is mandatory (written, read, spoken); French is an asset.
Depending on experience + per diem
ALIMA pays for:
- Travel costs between the expatriate’s country of origin and the mission location
- Accommodation costs
- Medical cover from the first day of the contract to a month after the date of departure from the mission country for the employee
- Evacuation of the employee
Deadline: 13th November, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- To apply, please send your CV and Cover Letter on our job page.
- Applications are processed in the order of arrival and we reserve the right to close the offer before the term initially indicated, if a good application is successful.
- Only full applications (CV + cover letter) will be considered. Only accepted applications will be contacted.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.